Thursday 12 May 2011

Last MBS/SOM Draft

I went to Hemel last Tuesday for the last draft before New Phyrexia comes out. Didn't manage to make it to a pre-release unfortunately so haven't played with any new cards yet. 


Sitting down to open the first pack, I saw a Phyrexian Rebirth as the rare, a potential first pick that I have been faced with before. This time, however, there was no awesome, splashable spot removal, so I picked the mass removal spell. The rest of the draft I was going between white, black and green, although mainly white and green. 


The deck I ended up playing was something along the lines of this:


1 Flayer Husk
1 Revoke Existence
1 Necropede
1 Plague Myr
1 Silverskin Armor
1 Leonin Skyhunter
1 Myr Sire
1 Tumble Magnet
1 Dispense Justice
1 Cystbearer
1 Priests of Norm
1 Lead the Stampede
1 Ezuri's Brigade
1 Corpse Cur
1 Blightwidow
1 Tine Shrike
1 Tel-Jilad Fallen
1 Chrome Steed
1 Darksteel Juggernaut
1 Clone Shell
1 Phyrexian Rebirth
1 Fangren Marauder
2 Alpha Tyrranax
About equal forests/plains (slightly more forests). 


I somehow managed to get the first round bye again, it seems to happen a somewhat noticeable amount, I'm not sure why. I watched my girlfriend play her round which she won, then raised my eyebrow at her afterwards for not playing the Sylvok Replica in her B/G deck, she was then my opponent in the next round so pointing that out did somewhat come back to haunt me. 


In the first game, it was getting close, but she had some removal for my stuff, and with her Tel-Jilad Fallen on the board and all I could play was artifact creatures, I lost that one. I won the second game, just by playing a lot of big creatures. The third game was getting close again, I played a Phyrexian Rebirth, and the next turn she top-decked a Spread the Sickness to destroy it and attacked for the win soon after, letting her get into the final round. 


In my third round, I played against Joel, a very good player in the club. I won the first match, and in the second match got close to winning, but lost to the unusual anti-synergy (for me anyway) of my Darksteel Juggernaut (indestructible), my Fangren Marauder, and his Hoard-Smelter Dragon (which he got to pump twice targeting the Juggernaut, and as it was indestructible I didn't get to gain any life from the Marauder). In the third game, I landed a turn 5 Clone Shell, followed up with a Fangren Marauder, and the turn later played Phyrexian Rebirth (8 creatures in play, 4 were artifacts). The token was killed the turn after (I never got to untap with the token the entire night), but I was still fairly comfortable after gaining 20 from the Marauder triggering four times, and still had the creature that was under the Clone Shell. I followed up with a Lead the Stampede to re-fill my hand for three creatures, and won the match. Yay card advantage. 


I'm looking forward to playing with the new New Phyrexia cards, quite a lot of them look fun :D Phyrexian mana also looks very interesting, I think my plan is to play with as many as I can, at least initially so see what they're like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment