Wednesday 31 August 2011

M12 draft: splashing Overrun

I went to another M12 draft yesterday, where I went 3-0 again (yay). 


The draft started off with a couple of potential colours, but it turned out that I was going to be heavy black so I stuck with that, picking up a few cards from other colours in case I wanted to splash, which I did in the end (I don't think I had enough to make a mono colour deck). 


I opened a Doom Blade (nice first pick), and was passed an Overrun which I took second (the person who opened it took Angelic Destiny). I also picked up a Gravedigger early on, and was passed another one straight after, so got a second. 


When I came to building my deck, I realised that I had a lot of Black, probably not enough to build a decent mono black deck, but I didn't have a huge amount of cards in other colours (I had some in other colours, but split over all the other colours). In the end, I decided my "splash" would be green, as it would allow me to play Overrun, which is a game ending card. 


The deck:
Tormented Soul
Duskhunter Bat
2 x Child of Night
Reassembling Skeleton
Doom Blade
Sorin's Thirst
2 x Bloodrage Vampire
Warpath Ghoul
Arachnus Web
2 x Vampire Outcasts
4 x Gravedigger (yes, four)
Drifting Shade
Diabolic Tutor
Cudgel Troll
Acidic Slime
Overrun
Sorin's Vengeance
10 x Swamp
7 x Forest


Sideboard cards that I used:
Rusted Sentinel
Zombie Goliath
2 x Greater Basilisk (I started out with these main deck, but always sided them out for Warpath Ghoul and something else, so kept them out). 


Other cards I drafted, but didn't play:
Goblin Arsonist
Runeclaw Bear
Fog
Reclaim
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Volcanic Dragon
Manic Vandal
Lava Axe
Brink of Disaster
Sphinx of Uthuun
Merfolk Looter
Auramancer
Gideon's Lawkeeper
Buried Ruin


Alternatives
I considered playing red instead of green, but some of the cards seemed like they needed to be played earlier, whereas with the green cards would be good at any stage of the game when cast. I didn't think I had enough white or blue to add those as splash colours. 


Games
In all the matches I played, I won the first game, lost the second game, then won the third game. 


In the first match, my opponent had built a Goblin deck (yay, Goblins). The game I lost was because they had a good interaction with Goblin Chieftain and Goblin Bangchuckers meaning they could attempt to remove all my guys without loosing the bangchuckers. They also used Incinerate on my Cudgel Troll


The second match I played my opponent was playing White and Green, and had a mixture of fast small creatures and big green ones, but I won the first and third game (we then played an extra game for fun, they played a Rites of Flourishing, I untapped, draw two, played my fourth and fifth land and had the chance to play Acidic Slime to get all the benefit from the rites, but was playing for fun so didn't and the game sped up into silliness pretty quickly). 


In the final match, my opponent was playing black, red and green. The first game I had a pretty good curve: Turn 1 Tormented Soul, Turn 2 Duskhunter Bat (with bloodthirst), Turn 3 was either Warpath Ghoul or Arachnus Web, and Turn 4 was probably Vampire Outcasts. When they almost stabilised with a Blood Ogre, I cast Overrun so that anything they blocked would survive the first strike damage. In the second game I started with a hand of 3 land and didn't draw any more for a while with a hand full of four drops while they accelerated into a big wurm or something. In the final game, I was wearing their life total down and had a Vampire Outcasts (with two counters) and one other creature (possibly a Tormented Soul) on the battlefield, and they played a second creature with 2 power, to be able to trade for the vampire. I cast Overrun so they couldn't block profitably and gained a huge amount of life in the process. They did double block the next turn, but I was able to cast Gravedigger to get it back and recast it. I think I won with 40something life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment