Wednesday 28 September 2011

Last M12 draft - Winston Star

At Hemel last night was probably the last M12 draft I'll be doing. As there was only 5 of us, we did a different format than usual. We did a Winston Draft between the 5 players, planning to play the Star Format as there was 5 of us. 


I started off the draft, with nothing particularly interesting in either pile, but opted to take a Plummet in the last pile as it is somewhat alright (and going to have some targets with multiple opponents) as I didn't want to risk getting something worse. In hindsight, I should have taken the card off the top as it was Sorin's Vengeance which the person after me took. 


When the pick came round to me again, the first pile hadn't been taken and now had about 6 cards, so I took it as there were a few slightly alright cards. 

A few picks later, I was in green more than other colours with a few cards of the other colours, so fairly open as to second/third colours. I saw an Overrun had been left so took that to try and get into green a lot more. 


At the end of the draft, I was mainly green and black, with a small number of cards in red white and green. 


Putting together a deck, I wasn't able to be two colours, so had to add a third. I considered blue as I had a Mind Control, but decided upon white as it had the better cards. 


The deck I ended up playing was this:
1 Wring Flesh
1 Pacifism
1 Smallpox
1 Sorin's Thirst
1 Duskhunter Bat
1 Plummet
1 Celestial Purge
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Timely Reinforcements
1 Manalith
1 Arachnus Web
1 Sacred Wolf
1 Bloodrage Vampire
2 Gravedigger
1 Brink of Disaster
1 Overrun
1 Stingerfling Spider
1 Acidic Slime
1 Stampeding Rhino
1 Zombie Goliath
1 Vastwood Gorger


We played 3 games in total, it was quite fun, switching seats between matches so we had slightly different opponents. 


In the first game, one of my opponents had a Royal Assassin so I couldn't really attack (it took me a while to get some creatures as I had 4 land for a few turns with a hand full of 5 drops), but used a Celestial Purge on it, then cast Overrun and attacked to take them out. Unfortunately the turn after my opponent cast Fireball at me for lethal :-|


In the second game, I was stuck on two land for a few turns so didn't really do much. I did manage to use Plummet on the bloodthirst dragon which was sweet. I had a Smallpox in hand, and while I had no creatures in play, I couldn't really afford to loose a land. I was able to play Timely Reinforcements for maximum value (easier as I had more opponents). 


In the third game, I didn't do much for a few turns, then played a rhino, which died, then a Gravedigger, and then the rhino again. One of my opponents had the Royal Assassin again, but a load of their X/1's died due to a nicely spread out Fireball. They then cast the Fact or Fiction creature with some interesting cards - I had to separate out the Diabolic Tutor and the Disentomb as either would be bad for me - either return the assassin, or tutor for Sorin's Vengeance. They opted for the tutor as it would be more fun. Somewhat handily the next turn someone played Manabarbs which made things interesting (they realised that they had drafted Personal Sanctuary but hadn't thought to put it in their deck). As I would be deck pretty quickly to a Vengeance and flier, I tried my best to kill my opponent (or at least get their life down so they couldn't tap enough land for the powerful sorcery). I cast Overrun and attacked, they had to block my larger creature so theirs died just so they could end up on 8, so be on 1 when they cast Sorin's Vengeance, which they did next turn. 


All in all, it was a fun evening, very enjoyable, and a nice way to finish up playing M12 limited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment